Sunday, November 21, 2010

Treasure Hunting...



I've been thinking about this for months.

It all started in September when my husband took me to Canton to the monthly flea market.
The Flea Market was enormous-to say the very least!!!!

I went with a specific list-I had good evidence that I would come home with many impulsive purchases otherwise. Trying to be wise and frugal , I planned a few projects and put my "wish list"together.

Happily ,I found everything on my list and stayed within my budget! Amazing and ful
filling-but I had to ask myself why? Why did it make me sooo happy to find these odd items?


I put the thought in the back of my mind for a bit.

Each time I would see an opportunity to shop thriftily at a garage sale,thrift store or flea market I did-and the thought came to me again and again.
I didn't have to spend a lot of money and I always found such great items-but I didn't always buy them-and that brought the thought to me again-but from a different perspective.

Why was this cycle so happily filling my life and was it a good or a bad thing.

Somewhere in the last few weeks ,I got up early on a Saturday morning to go to an estate sale-
I was already tired from a busy week, and my budget was fairly small -so I had to ask myself WHY was I going ?
Suddenly it became clear to me that I was doing exactly the same thing that many folks do during duck or squirrel season.

It wasn't the purchase or ownership of a great find or treasure that brought me such joy-it was the hunt -the search- the utter surprise at finding an unexpected treasure.I didnt have to buy,own,or purchase it-just FIND IT!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Artful Gathering said...

What a great discovery!
Happy Thanksgiving....

Gwen Kelley said...

Well said and I agree, the hunt is fun. When it's looking through old thing all the more fun.