Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wash Day

I started hanging my laundry out on the clothesline a year or two ago when the utility prices began soaring each month. It's not always the best solution during really crummy weather , which we have plenty of, but it really saves on the electric bill when I can use the line.

Besides the savings in money, I enjoy the smell and just the feeling of being outside and doing something productive that's at least a little more physical than pressing a button!!! When my grandgirl ,Abby is here we talk and visit while she helps me.

airing quilts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

soapAnother significant savings for us has been to make our own detergent. I spent months reading and researching which recipe to use and I have settled on one I'd like to share with you.

As close as I can figure it, the cost is about 1 cent per load- plus very little waste in the form of plastic containers.

(commercial jugs work out to around 6-10 cents per load)

Here's the recipe:

1 cup of Oxyclean(I use the no-name brand product)

1 cup of grated Felds-Naptha Soap(I have used OCTAGON as well-Misses Grocery has it)*grate the soap as fine as you can so that it melts easily in the wash

1/2 cup of Borax

1/2 cup of Washing soda 

Mix all ingredients well and store in airtight container.

I give mine a little shake to re-mix each time I use it also.

Use 2 Tablespoons for each load- a bit more for greasy of very soiled laundry.

Let me know if you have any info that I can add to this- I am still learning so much!!!

0 comments: